Procure Partnerships Framework Contractor Partners GRAHAM are making progress on the design and construction of a new build extension at Houndshill Shopping Centre on behalf of framework users Blackpool Borough Council. This multi-use leisure development is part of a long-term strategy to modernise the town centre. It will include a cinema complex, large retail unit and two independent restaurants.
This Project was procured via the Procure Partnerships North West Framework under a two stage call off procedure.
The project includes the construction of a two-storey steel frame that ties into the existing Houndshill Shopping Centre. The retail unit will be knocked through into the existing mall whilst the new Restaurants and Cinema will be separate and accessed via Coronation Street. Works are ongoing and the project is due to complete in Spring 2023.
GRAHAM have been working exceptionally hard to create a lasting impact within the local community since the start of the project in September 2021, with social value activities tracked monthly via Compliance Chain
Some of the social value highlights so far include:
– Working directly with local services and delivery partners to access local labour and emerging talent, so far five local men have sustained full-time employment.
– Supported Blackpool Council’s ‘Upskilling Blackpool’s SMEs’ and Streetlife Sleep out events
– £7,000 wishlist tool donations for Blackpool Council’s Independent Living
– working in partnership with Lancashire in MIND to raise funds and awareness to mental health and local services
– Hosting a T-level student, L3 Industry Placement committing to over 315 hour work-based experience
A collective £1.2m Social Value Add has been generated so far.
Stephen Van den Hoek, GRAHAM Operations Director, commented: “Construction is firmly underway at Phase 2 of Houndshill Shopping Centre, which is being redeveloped to provide new retail and leisure opportunities as part of a long-term strategy to modernise the town centre. We’ve been working hard to bring Blackpool Council’s vision to life over the course of the construction programme, so we are delighted to have been awarded full marks from a recent site visit by the Considerate Constructors Scheme which assesses performance and compliance on construction sites nationwide.”
Darren Jones, Positive Steps Manager, Commented: “Working with GRAHAM has proved hugely beneficial to Positive Steps. We always have customers seeking employer opportunities that have a CSCS card and GRAHAM have provided a seamless recruitment process for us. Crucially the customers that have started are really enjoying working there.”